MUNICIPAL VOTE NOVEMBER 5 2017 – GRACEFIELD Summary of responses
MUNICIPAL VOTE NOVEMBER 5 2017 – GRACEFIELD
Summary of responses from questions asked on behalf of cottagers in the area
|Candidate||Top 5 budget priorities||Additional
for seasonal residents
|Sustainable development plan|
|– Better financial management- No always deal w/ tax increases
– Commit to rurality
|No: wants to stop managing the city beyond its means||– Roads
– “We have to do something”: wants to set up a “rurality committee” with seasonal residents
|– Business experience in Maple Sugar Shack
– President of Coop in Gracefield (12 years)- 15 years in Municipal sector_ Graduated in Administration
|– Roads: lists several regional roads
– Urbanism & environment: protection of lakes, shores and coastlines, septic tank, garbage; encourage to recycling and composting.
– Lightening requests for permit for small renovations- Public Security is important: we must follow the fire risk cover scheme, train firemen, educate, (…) flooding etc. Protection of our people.
– Maintenance of quality of the drinking water house and sewage plant
– Leisure and culture, economic development, embellishment, municipal infrastructure, health clinic, etc.
|No, however, as a mayor, I must consider at least the consumer price index as all services increase each year as well as employees’ annual raise. We have no control on new evaluation of the properties||– The roads on the Northfield sector have been considerably neglected over the last 15 years and would definitely push that the roads be upgraded and paved.
– I would like to have at least one or more permanent and mandatory boat wash stations to protect our lakes
– Nuisance control has always been a priority and we will pursue over this matter, install jute canvass wherever there is a need for limiting damages to our lakes
– We now have an employee trained to ensure that we trap and control beavers’ nuisance as they had caused road damages etc.
|Economic Development I am seeking for is not around lakes. It is downtown or at the downtown proximity.
– Lakes are our wealth and I do want to preserve them as much as we can.
– We vigorously apply our regulation on Coastal Shoreline Protection: we are presently working on the Lac-Heney one along with the Municipality of Lac Ste-Marie so that we follow the same guidelines.
|Seat # 1
|– Roads (Désormeaux & Poisson Blanc)
– Urbanism & Development
– Public security
– Leisure & culture
– Economic Development
|No||– Upgrade roads particularly around Heney, which have been in disrepair for too long
– Have boat washing stations around ALL lakes
|Lakes are fragile and more development around them would not be durable; wants to control overdevelopment near waterways.
– Further Development should be around town, not on lakes
|Seat # 2
|– Financial Management as a team
– Control tax increases
– Team Player: wants to offer services at reasonable costs
– Wishes for fair distribution of budget- Wants a balanced budget
|No||– Invest in rural roads
– Listen to seasonal residents needs and establish an action plan that would be achievable in short and middle term
|– Protect the environment
– Create jobs in agriculture and tourism
|Seat # 3
|Sustainable infrastructure development, for example not covering an asphalt road that has not been prepared to receive it.
– Attract investors to create jobs and increase the quality of life of citizens by the very fact
-Conservation of the territory’s water bodies, among other things by educating users and riparian owners
– Have proper monitoring and maintenance of the Gracefield area water treatment plants and drinking water treatment plant to reduce repair costs and optimize service life
– Maintenance of existing services for citizens (CLSC, doctors’ office)
|Tax increases are justifiable only if the elected officials have shown exemplary control of expenses; otherwise they are unjustified for all citizens and vacationers- Before moving forward with a new project, we must be sure to have the means and this in order to avoid tax increases disproportionate.||I cannot really answer that question until I have read the portion of the budget allocated to the different application and taken the pulse of the population. After public consultation it will be easier to put in place a realistic action plan.||Economic development, that is to say new employment from the private sector and continue the development of tourism to bring new money to our beautiful city. The reopening of a club like the mountaineers is also necessary to promote the seeding of the lakes.
|Seat # 3
|– Stabilize municipal taxes
– Road maintenance & repairs
– Create an eco-centre
– Protect lakes and stock them with fish
– Ensure entrepreneurs invest in our city
– Wishes each sector receives the money that is owe to them from taxes so they can fix roads and infrastructure
|No: they went up too high compared to the poor services we receive||It all depends on the needs of cottagers. Make sure they get the services they’re supposed to get and that the roads are repaired||Have other companies that would come and set up business here so that they create jobs.|
|Seat # 5
|– Protect lakes & rivers
– Better financial management
– Economic Development
– Continue investing in families and leisure
|NO: opposed 2017 budget because of inequality in distribution: town VS rural (for sewers & water plant)||Has been trying “for years” to put stone dust on rural roads because it’s more compact and less maintenance than recycled asphalt||Continue to protect shorelines, fight milfoil and control sceptic systems near waterways|
|Seat # 5
|Make Gracefield More welcoming & safer
– Listen to new ideas
– Encourage economic development
– Keep health services in place (CLSC and doctors offices) accessible
|Will have to find out more; does not know the situation yet. Feels increase is very high indeed.||– Conservation and preservation of lakes on the city’s territory
– Hire a biologist for the improvement of lakes
– Make website more convivial and complete
– Continue development of agro-tourism
– Durable road management
|– Attract investors (hotel project, housing development)
– Improve services around cycle path- Create jobs in areas other than forestry
|Seat # 6
|– Expense management and control of budget
– Inventory all assets; Set up 3-year plan- Set up training for municipal personnel
– Create a plan to attract businesses and help support businesses to create jobs in the area.
– Complete analysis of roads in town of Gracefield; make a plan to repair roads
|Must analyse everything.
– High increases in the past are due to bag management in the past, not just the last 4 years.- It is essential to stop tax increases.- It is unfair to see such increases when services aren’t the same for everyone.
|Rural road paving
– Access to information and activities in Gracefield
– Control of animals and protection of lakes
– Public access to lakes; make them accessible to all tourists
– Active listening to and involvement of cottagers in decision making
– Improvement of services to cottagers
– Beautification of territory (not only the village)
– Establish a plan for road repairs
|– 3-year plan for road repairs
– Forest and lake protection plan
– Development plan for small and mid-size enterprises- Work with MRC to promote sustainable development
– Human resources development plan
Replies not received from:
Seat # 1:
Claude Gauthier (incumbent)
Seat # 2:
Seat # 3
Seat # 4
Madeleine Caron Desrosiers
Seat # 6